Thursday, April 26, 2012

How much do I need to improve cooling of my PC with new video card?

I'm waiting for the prices to drop when the next gen of NVidia chips comes out, but I'd like to add an 8-series (probably 8800) 256 MB or 512 MB vid card to supplant my GeForce 6150 integrated chip.



I've got an HP, which are low on power and low on cooling, so I'll probably need to upgrade my power supply to a 450W or 500W. What's a good rule for determining how much additonal cooling I should bring in, and what fans can help me with that? I also probably need to add some vents to my case, it only came with 2 small side vents.



Thanks for your help.|||One way to help prevent GPU heat from increasing ambient case temps is to get a dual-slot card w/ a HSF that exhausts out the back like this one:

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/p…



An additional exhaust fan is also not a bad idea, I have one of these and it moves a lot of air compared to single-slot ones.

http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-3-speed-exh…

not bad for under $15 shipped :)



to determine your PSU demand head over to the eXtreme PSU calc

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuca…



Just plug-and chug your system post-upgrade it will determine your power supply needs. For example, an X2 4200 / 2gb (2 x 1gb) / 1 x hdd / 1 x dvd / 3 x 92mm fans / 8800gt 512Mb would only need a 250w PSU w/ dual +12v rails, preferrably one that has a minimum of +12v@20A combined capacity.



a replacement may be hard to find if you have a smaller micro-atx type.|||You wont know until after you install what you want and check

your processor and case temp,,,,,,,,,,,,





If your looking for some formula for this that has every listed

temp for each mfg,,, no such thing,,,,,,,,,





for the most part if your card has a high performance

it has it own cooler,,,,,,,so you only have to worry that

your cpu is staying with in its limit,,,,,,



for most 50-61c is about general,,, but you need to check your cpu temp min max



keeping the inside free of dust and the vents free of dust

is the most important|||Probably None



your pc has a heatsink as will your video card , simply keep the vents open and if possible install a exhaust fan ... a exhaust fan on the back of your pc is almost 30% more effective in removing heat then installing a case fan

No comments:

Post a Comment