Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why is my video card idling so hot?

My video card (eVGA) Geforce 6800GS is idling at 80+ degrees C lately. That used to be the temp after a long gaming session. Now, when I play F.E.A.R. Combat, for instance, I get little black artifacts and game freezes. When I quit the game and check the temp, it’s over 100! Not in the Danger Zone, but far from acceptable. I’ve checked the card’s fan – running but dusty, cleaned out the dust, shut down for awhile to let it cool some. I boot up and the idle temp starts at 66 C and keeps going up until 83 C! The processor idles at 45 C and the ambient temp inside the case is listed as 51 C by the nVidia temp montor. So WTF? The CPU is cool, the case is cool, no dust, working fan, cold boot ups and still I’ve been getting a consistent 80+ idle temp on this card. I bought it 03/06 and really don’t play too many games on my pc, so it hasn’t been abused by crazy gaming marathons or anything. I don’t overclock it, I hardly even play games anymore. Help?|||I agree with the other person, the thermal paste may have dried.



Also check to see if it would at all be possible to update drivers for the card, as well as your motherboards bios



There have been many issues with temperatures specially with nvidia based chipsets, so their measurement of 51c may not at all be accurate. Perhaps another cooler in the case may help as well



One trouble spot for many computers seems to be the area behind the video card because thats also where the exhaust from the power supply goes, as well as the processor being in the nearby vicinity....so that area tends to get extremely hot, a fan right there may help|||have you checked that there is enough thermal paste or that it may have dried out

No comments:

Post a Comment