Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to cool down a overheating video card?

My computer keeps shutting down while playing League of Legends, usually once every couple of games. In the game my fps will go from 60~130 down to 03~15. I think this is because my video card is overheating. How do I cool down my video card? I left the case open to see, and even when I'm not gaming the video card fan is hot to touch. The fan sometimes won't spin as well, I have to push it a little and it'll start spinning but will stop after between 10~30 minutes.

This is a picture of my computer idle, I took this picture about 5 minutes after turning on the computer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61248140@N0…



I have a HP Pavilion Elite e9270f, I changed the power supply because it was overheating as well. The new power supply is about 400 watts. Besides that I have done nothing else to the computer.|||Yeah, your video card is overheating. 79°C is ridiculous. Either the fan is stopping because it's filthy or faulty and it should be cleaned or warranty replaced, respectively.|||Possible to replace the fan on the card. If it is removable you may be in luck. If not you have to replace the card or a alternative would be to fab up a bracket and mount a case fan to it pulling heat away from the card. Unless your case has a vent on the side of it to mount a fan. All this is not as effective as the card mounted fan. You will have to replace the card down the road soon. Your computer will suffer damage as you have already seen. Hope it helps.|||go get the fan checked



and even the psu may be a problem



check the output of your PSU....



the default one was a 350w power supply

so if you PSU does about 80-90%of that it will work fine but if it is higher then that would be better

PS:try a PSU of even higher power temporarily|||You can try getting a pci bay fan. They are relatively inexpensive and are pretty effective at helping cool your pci components. If your graphics card fan is not spinning then this indicates a problem with your graphics card itself and replacing it would likely be the most effective way of fixing your overheat problems. It may be possible to replace only the fan on your graphics card, however this would require dis-assembly of your graphics, so I wouldn't recommend this unless you are confident you will be able to put it back together. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment