Thursday, April 26, 2012

What are some easy ways to cool off my video card?

My NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT is at about 79 - 80 degrees celcius just running basic programs like

firefox

itunes

2TB external hard drive

23" LED monitor

19" LCD monitor



Not even playing any games and the temperature is really high.



I've already cleaned out all the dust from it.

I was thinking of overclocking the fan or take off the side of the computer so hot air isn't trapped in there. What percentage should I overclock the fan if I do that? I've read that factory speed is 30%.

Are there any easier/safer ways to cool off the video card?



Thanks you|||Taking off the side panel isn't going to cool your computer or your video card down much at all. The side of the case is there to aid in the FLOW of air into and out of the case. Without the side panel on, the flow will be not as efficient.



Are you sure the video cards fan is working at all? Sounds like it isn't if it's reaching 80 degrees whilst only running un-graphically demanding stuff like Firefox or iTunes.



If it is running, then i'm sure you can use software to increase the speed of the cards fan. ATI have Catalyst Control Centre where you can play with fan speed settings and such. I'm sure NVIDIA will have an equivalent bit of software but i'm not sure what that is.



Increasing the cards fan speed will have an immediate impact and cool your card.

You could also buy an aftermarket cooler for your card. Sounds like yours just isn't doing the job.



Make sure that the fan on the card is clean of dust and crap as well.|||I had the same problem with my GeForce. Check to make sure the fan on the card isn't plugged up with dust and that it is working. Then try some new thermal paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment